If you own a warehouse, you want to keep your building in the best possible condition. That’s why you should maintain and protect your building’s roof. After all, roof replacement costs are exorbitant!
So what can you do to prevent the costs and dangers of a damaged roof? The answer: coat it!
Coating a metal roof is the best way to ensure the longevity of the roof of your commercial building. Don’t know much about them? Well, you’re in the right place.
Read on to find out what you should know about metal roof coatings.
Metal Roof Coatings Have Many Benefits
Whether you’re fixing damages on your metal roof or are in the middle of building one now, it’s important to know why you should coat it in the first place. There are a lot of advantages to coating your metal roof. Here are just a few:
- The life of your roof is extended when it has the proper coverage
- Coatings keep the temperature of the building down
- Commercial roof coatings prevent leaks
- You save money by reducing cooling costs with an efficient roof coating
- Roof coatings help to prevent a roof replacement
Now that you know the benefits of coating a metal roof, you can start choosing the type of coating you want.
Coatings Come in Different Varieties
There are tons of choices when it comes to coating metal roofs and each one has its own properties. Here’s a handy list to help you determine which variety you can use for your commercial building.
- Asphalt is the most common type of coating and provides a great barrier to weather
- Elastomeric coatings are great for metal paneling because it helps regulate the metal’s expansion and contraction during temperature fluctuations
- Cool roof coatings reduce heat islands and help prevent chemical and water damage
- Silicone coatings cure fast and last for up to 25 years
Before you commit to a coating, speak to a roof coating contractor for the best insight on which coating is right for your building.
They’re Also Easy to Install
Before you dive into coating your metal roof, there are a few steps you must take in preparation.
First, you should inspect your roof. If water stands on the roof for over 48 hours, you’re in good shape. That means there are no sunken parts of the roof that must be repaired.
But if there are areas such as dips, corrosion in the metal, or leaks, you should have them fixed immediately. Coating a roof that has problems will seal them in, and make it that much more difficult to repair later on down the line.
After inspection and maintenance, you can get started on installation. Commercial roofs are best left to the professionals because it’s a huge undertaking. Contact a reliable company that offers commercial roofing services to help you get the best protection for your building.
The Bottom Line
Metal roof coatings are important when it comes to building maintenance. They don’t just cover your roof, they also cover your back by preventing a costly and early roof replacement.
Now that you know some of the ins-and-outs of metal roof coatings, you have a head start on how to better protect your commercial building. But if you have more questions about roofing, that’s ok! Check out our blog for more information on all things roofing.